Suunto Ambit on linux

I am a suunto user. I am a linux user. I would love both to work together and there's nothing on the internet. That means I have to make my suunto ambit talk to my ubuntu.

;-) So today I spent some time looking and sniffing data on windows to try to see what was going on and eventually take some of what I learn over to linux. So I found the following:

1. suunto vendor ID: 0x1493 Product ID: 0x0010

2. After hours looking for some kind of USB to serial bridge driver, around the CP201x driver, I think that this is probably not the way to go and the suunto uses a generix HID driver. At least it seems to be recognized as such by windows and it definitely gets recognized as such on linux.

The reason why I went on looking for a CP201x driver was because I found a folder on the suunto installation files on windows that references that chip. I gave it up for now, but this may still be the way.

3. On linux, I downloaded the HID API for Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows and managed to compile and run the test program (you need the following two packages to start):

sudo apt-get install libusb-1.0-0-dev
sudo apt-get install libudev-dev


So far I go the following info on linux (note that the watch gets recognized automatically as a general HID device - type dmesg to verify after plugging in the watch to your linux machine). I edited the hditest that comes with the hdi library to point to the proper vendor ID (i.e. 0x1493) and product ID (i.e. 0x10).



So I can detect and I can open the device. I can't read or write to it yet, but I'm off to my windows computer to analyze the communication protocol. Wish me luck!

Comments

Ameish said…
cp2102 Suunto uses in earlier products, exactly I know personally is usb datasnake and pc pod. I did connection to GPS pod in hope to connect it as track pod but today found in moveslink2 data, it uses different vid and pids are going to be used. So Suunto switch to other vid numbers
Anonymous said…
This is very interesting. My Dream is to connect the rasbery pie to the ambit in Order to Transfer from ambit via Bluetooth to Smartphones. I do Not want to Take a Laptop to holidays...
Anonymous said…
I am a suunto user. I am a linux user. ;-))

Do you have some new information ? Are you able to read the data ?

Thanks
F.
mbernasocchi said…
have a look at https://sourceforge.net/p/openambit
Anonymous said…
Thanks a lot for this link! Weekend is saved ...